Preservation Lab

1st Quarter 2009 – Report

This report covers the period January 1, 2009 – March 31, 2009.

Attended ALA midwinter where I chaired the meeting of the CIC Preservation Officers group.  I also convened a CIC-PO conference call in March.  At also I took part in the LITA PARS meetings on Friday and Saturday.

Serve on the IUL Assessment Committee and have recently been added as a member of the AIP Steering Committee

Attended the Librarians Coffee and Conversation get-togethers, Customer Service Training, Librarian Faculty meeting with the Dean, Teaching with Web 2.0 and the PA Performance Evaluation meeting.

Met with the librarian at the Lakeview Elementary School to review her plans for remodeling that school library.

Garry Harrison and the staff from General Conservation accomplished the following:

  • Responded to two nearly identical water incidents at Geology Library in January and March. Source of both was the machine room above library. Draped stacks with plastic. Damage to collections was minor; about 100-150 books, edge-wet only. Fanned books on tables to air-dry on-site, left air movers.
  • Responded to water incident at Education Library. Source was a roof leak, rain while construction in progress. Appeared to have started in an area not over collections, prompting someone to drape nearby stacks with plastic. They wanted us to check under the plastic sheeting for wet books, which we did using moisture detector. We found none.
  • Met with Charla Lancaster to discuss rebuilding the Preservation database in the current version of Access. It had become non-functional with the upgrade. We are trying to find someone who can write a program to import data from WorkFlows as we enter materials.
  • Pending the upgrade of the Preservation database, as an interim step, we began performing circulation functions to allow us to better organize the intake and return of materials. The process shows us when the book was received, what level of treatment it is here for, and which shelf it is on. After the treatment has been performed, books are discharged and put into transit.
  • After a lengthy search for a competent service tech, the hydraulic guillotine was finally repaired and is back to full operational vigor.
  • Constructed clamshell boxes for 13 oversize books from Fine Arts Library’s special collections. Most were double-wall with stepped joints. The procedure for constructing this enclosure was documented and added to the online manual.
  • Constructed a built-up clamshell box for a ceremonial peace pipe from Archives.
  • Photo-/text-documented book vacuuming unit for Ramona Duncan-Huse, conservator at Indiana Historical Society.
  • Hosted tour of department by Peggy Houston and students.
  • Hired three new student bench technicians.

Conservation Treatment Statistics

Month

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Enclosures

Bindery

01/09

343

43

16

379

59

02/09

382

86

13

391

10

03/09

705

82

31

423

61

Doug Sanders and his assistant performed the following treatments:

Lilly- 6 jobs- mending, fabrication of housings. Also, the 2-year newspaper project is nearly finished (2Q09 target)

Geology- 15 map encapsulations

Fine Arts- non-aqueous deacidification of 144 arts newspapers

I also gave a talk (with Nicole’s assistance) to a SLIS Rare Book Cataloging class on the topic of paper and parchment cataloging terms.

Peggy Houston and her two student hourly assistants processed the following:

January 14th shipment total:    288 items    (214 serials) (impact of Christmas break)

February 11th shipment total:  813 items   (651 serials)

March 11th shipment total:    1,200 items   (1108) serials)

Total: 2,301 items

Herb McBride constructed 1,548 enclosures.  Of these, 833 were Lilly Library, 279 were Lilly Lab (i.e., items brought to Preservation for treatment), 149 from the Lilly puzzle collection, 94 were Lilly puzzle corrugated enclosures, 12 for the Music Library and 181 were from the general collections.

Mary Graham Uthuppuru with her hourly staff, working for the Lilly Library, constructed 78 phase boxes, 2 clamshell enclosures, 5 built-up phase boxes and encapsulated 40 items.  They also performed regular treatment to 26 items.  They were also involved in working on seven major exhibitions including the installation of the Abraham Lincoln exhibit and the Rubik’s Cube Exhibit in Lilly and the Islamic Book Art exhibit at the IU Art Museum.

Advertisements